Winners abound!

Today I'm grateful for dear ones
and deer in the yard
and the sudden beauty of the unexpected.
Also, the end of the Aloha Motel
and Theo, who gets stranger looking every day,
and Cally Maude, who gets more and more beautiful.
Also, winners! Winners abound. I was honored to serve as the judge of the 2014 Indiana Review 1/2K contest. The finalists were all amazing, but first prize went to Amy Woolard for "The Girl Next Door to the Girl Next Door." Here's my blurb for the winning piece: “The sounds in this poem lured me into the story -- repetition and rhyme in service to character and scene. I love the juxtaposition between sweet and staccato, and the way the tone shifts from delicate details to harsh colloquialisms. The narrator’s a mystery to me, which I like, but the girl isn’t a mystery at all -- she’s true to this town and time. It’s nice to start with a girl who’s alive, for a change, and to let the girl’s escape be the truth of the story.”


“The Girl Next Door to the Girl Next Door” Amy Woolard

Runners-Up:
“Weekend” by Shane Kowalski
“The Alexandria Story” by Corinne Schneider
“The Golden Rule” by Lo Kwa Mei-en
“How to Walk Backwards Into a Black & White House” by Amy Woolard

Finalists:
“The Fable” by Gary Leising
“Untitled” by Don Judson
“Killing Time” by A.B. Francis
“Instructions for Womanhood” & “Conspiracy to Commit Larceny” by Jennifer Militello
“The Stone Cold Rule” by Lo Kwa Mei-en

Congrats to all of these fabulous writers! I look forward to reading more work in the future.


Comments